This replica was the site for the second hospital in Rockland County established in 1902, owned by Mrs. Thomas Fortune Ryan. It was known as the Messimer mansion on Orange Avenue and ownership was given to the Sisters of Charity by Mrs. Ryan. Good Samaritan Hospital opened in November of that year with seven nurses, three physicians and seven beds. Dr. Sylvester Demarest was the first president of the medical staff. This site was abandoned for lack of space for expansion and the present hospital on Route 59 opened in 1938. During its last years the old mansion was used as apartments for the nurses and during World War II the headquarters of the War Rationing Board. By 1947 the buildng was declared a firetrap and eventually the house was dismantled for its timber.