- Find an Item
- About Us
- About the Library
- Suggestion Box
- Adult Volunteer Application
- Board of Trustees
- Friends of the Library
- Library Policies
- Library Affiliations
- Library Financial Audit 2013
- What's New
- Local History
Dear Friends and neighbors, I will be leaving soon and I want to thank each and every one of you for the honor and privilege of serving as Director of the New City Library. It has been an exciting time and I take comfort in knowing that I leave a stronger and better library.
Customer service has been the hallmark of my tenure. A thorough review of procedures was undertaken and completed to ensure it was a customer friendly library. Customer Service was highlighted at every staff meeting with many staff development efforts to ensure staff is prepared to go beyond customer expectations. The Library has become known in the region to have the best and most responsive staff.
Significant new and innovative use of technology has been introduced for the convenience of customers and improved internal operations. Self check units were smoothly introduced. Customers have quickly grown to use the museum pass online reservation system. The New City website was recreated using shareware software. The New City Library was the first library in New York State to provide downloadable music. In 2010 the Library received the Services to Youth award from the Rockland County Youth Bureau and the prestigious Innovative Library Award from the New York State Public Library Association.
Statistics show similar successes. In the last three years the circulation of materials has increase 19.6%. This is contrary to national and local trends as libraries report a decline in usage. The New City Library has the highest circulation per capita in Rockland County. More significant was the 2010 RCLS statistical report that showed that the New City Library has one of the lowest costs per circulation (Personnel and operational costs divided by the number of items checked out).
The building is safer and more attractive than it has been in years. Some of the changes have been:
• Replacement of the front steps and porch with long lasting blue stone over previously cracking and deteriorating tile.
• Renovation of the Children’s garden including repair of the brick work.
• Repainting of many areas of the Library.
• Creation of a Teen Room to meet the needs and interest of younger library customers
• New Carpeting throughout most major public spaces the design of which recently won a carpet industry award.
• Applying for and receiving New York State Construction Grant that provided a renovated lobby area that streamlined many processes and a new circulation desk.
None of this would have been achieved without the public support from you our customers. In the past three years you have approved the library’s budget referendum with a resounding YES vote to support your library. For this I truly thank you and hope that you will continue to support the library next December when the budget will again be voted on.
Thank you once again.